Each year, UNC Charlotte's top graduate teaching assistants are honored with the Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant (TA) Award. The award recognizes master's and doctoral students nominated by faculty supervisors for their outstanding and innovative teaching techniques. Dr. Judith Krauss coordinates efforts to support graduate teaching assistants through the Center for Graduate Life and Learning, including Graduate Teaching Assistant training offered at the start of the Fall and Spring semesters.
2023-2024 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards
We will offer two awards:
- One award recognizes Teaching Assistants who have served as Instructors of Record for a minimum of one prior semester. This award category recognizes graduate students performing all the responsibilities of a stand-alone Instructor fully in charge of the course.
- One award recognizes Teaching Assistants who have performed the range of TA responsibilities in assistance to a faculty member, including running lab sessions, but who have never served as stand-alone Instructors of Record.
Each winner will receive a $1000 award!
Criteria for nomination:
- Nominees must be enrolled full-time and demonstrate superior teaching skills while serving as an instructor in the classroom or laboratory or assisting the professor with teaching in the classroom or laboratory.
- Nominees should have outstanding student evaluations. If the program in which the nominee teaches does not collect student evaluations, the nominee must offer equivalent substitutions. Nominees without student evaluations are unlikely to succeed in the award process.
- Nominees should have original teaching materials that support their nomination.
- Nominees must have had significant teaching responsibilities for at least two semesters. The current semester may be counted.
- Nominees must be able to request a letter of recommendation from a faculty member who has worked closely with them in their teaching role. This letter can be from the faculty member who nominated them.
2022-23 Teaching Assistant Award winners and finalists:
Congratulations to the 2022-23 Teaching Assistant Award winner, Caitlin BrabbleRose (Biology), and Instructor of Record (IOR) Award winner, Philip Zendels (Health Psychology).
Congratulations to the Teaching Assistant finalists:
Kaitlin Klotz, Biology
Krysta Rogden, Public Administration
Dana Miller, Health Psychology
Lauren Decker, Geography
Congratulations to the Instructor of Record finalists:
Maria Alessi, Health Psychology
Chelse Spinner, MPH, CPH, Public Health Sciences
Caitlan Webster, Public Health Sciences
Syeda Fatema Mazumder, Computing and Information Systems